Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is used to treat symptoms of menopause. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy may be an option for patients looking for an alternative to conventional HRT. Bio-identical hormones are synthesised from yam or soy to become Estriol, Estradiol, Estrone, DHEA, testosterone or pregnenolone.
Bio-identical hormones can be compounded as troches, creams, gels troches or pessaries.
Menopause symptoms and Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
Menopause symptoms that may be relieved by Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) include:
- hot flushes and night sweats
- vaginal dryness
- thinning of vaginal walls
- vaginal and bladder infections
- mild urinary incontinence
- aches and pains
- insomnia and sleep disturbance
- cognitive changes, such as memory loss
- reduced sex drive
- mood disturbance
- abnormal sensations, such as ‘prickling’ or ‘crawling’ under the skin
- hair loss or abnormal hair growth
- dry and itching eyes
- tooth loss and gingivitis (gum problems).
Added benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)
Hormone Replacement Therapy reduces the risk of various chronic conditions that can affect postmenopausal women, including:
- Diabetes – taking HRT around the time of menopause reduces women’s risk of developing diabetes.
- Osteoporosis – is weakening of bones such that they break more easily. HRT prevents further bone density loss, preserving bone integrity and reducing the risk of fractures, but it is not usually recommended as the first choice of treatment, except in younger postmenopausal women (under the age of 60).
- Bowel cancer – HRT slightly reduces the risk of colorectal cancer (bowel cancer).
Other therapies, including vaginal oestrogen products, antidepressants or other medication, may be used depending on the symptoms and risk factors. Seek advice from your doctor.
To order or for more information on Hormone Replacement Compounding, please speak to one of our pharmacists in-store or contact us.